Indian classical music

Discussion in 'Classical' started by amitkokiladitya, Apr 24, 2017.

1. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Member

Indian classical music is one of the best kind of music available worldwide. It is so deep and melodious and capable of raising the spirits of every person.

Have you ever heard Indian classical music? Do you like it as well?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member

@amitkokiladitya , I have to admit that while I do listen to all different forms of music, Indian classical music isn't a genre that I am familiar with. Is it possible for you to name a few artists that we can have a look at, or even better...maybe upload a few videos to the forum so we can judge for ourselves what makes it one of the best kinds of music in the world, as you say.

Music is of course a matter of taste, and I'm sure that one form of music will divide opinions, but that's what a forum like this is all about. Expanding our horizons and chatting about music that some of us may have never heard of before. I'm not sure that I will like Indian classical music but I'm willing to give it a go, and even if I don't like it I'm sure that i will be able to appreciate the skill and talent that goes in to playing it.

3. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Member

Indian classical music has a different essence and spirit. There are many world famous Indian classical music artists.
    Master Ravi Shankar, Zakir Hussain, Ustad Ahmad Ali Khan are a few gems of Indian classical music. I will upload some videos soon.

pwarbi likes this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member

Of the artists you have mentioned @amitkokiladitya, I have to admit that the only one I have heard of is Ravi Shankar but that isn't because of his association with Indian music as such, but more because he performed and wrote music for a lot of western artists. In fact, the collaborations he was famous for in this part of the world actually had a negative impact on his reputation and especially in India as he was often called out for crossing the boundaries of the two musical genres.

I think some people, both in India and in the west, thought he should stick to doing what he does best and especially in years gone by. I also think I remember reading that he passed away a few years ago now so would be interesting to see what he is remembered for. The music he made, or for being a so called 'traitor' to his own culture.

5. Pravish

Pravish New Member

Indian Classical music is one of the unique art we have among all others. My mom is a singer and she is into Indian classical ragas. I feel it needs numerous efforts to sing and tune in to what the call "Taal". Myself being a rock fan always wondered how they manage to control their voice and the way they breath to a particular tune. These singers give attention to detail about everything they eat. I got to know from one of the artists that the food they eat might affect their singing. As beautiful as the art is, there is an equal dedication required by the artists to it.

amitkokiladitya likes this.
  6. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Member

Every music be it classical or rock demands a lot if devotion and sacrifices. Most of the singers keep a close check in what they eat. They usually stay away fro..sour and extra cold things that might catch up their throat. This is a precaution which every singer takes and is not specifically for Indian classical singers.

Indian classical music shows a lot if variations in a single song as well. So, keeping a check on the Taal becomes mandatory. It takes years of regular practice so as to master this art.

Pravish likes this.
  7. luri

luri New Member

I have quite an experience with Indian music. I have listened to all kinds of Indian music, from Bollywood to Pop, rock and folk and classical music. Indian classical music has a long tradition. You cannot trace the origin, however, it is believed that the music has greatly burrowed from Muslim musical tradition. I like the sound of tabala, which also happens to be one of the main instruments in Nepali classical music.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7 New Member

I have never heard Indian classical music and I am wondering if it's anything like the traditional music. If it's anything like the traditional music, then I wouldn't be interested because that form of classical is probably the only form of music genre which does not appeal to me.

amitkokiladitya likes this.
  9. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Member

Classical music is no doubt the traditional Indian music . I respect your feelings because there are many who are not fond of these classical beats and rhythm.

But if you can please try yo listen to some of it. It is really a masterpiece of music in pure and basic form. It truly has an outstanding and mesmerizing essence.

10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

I know practically nothing about indian classical music... But I'd like to try to listen to something to see what I think (I like to have my own opinion, although I always consider the opinions of others).

So, any good advice for a beginner? :)

11. sachin

sachin Member

I love Indian music because it has its own unique characteristics, it will enrich the mindset of the people who can here this music.
    Lot of classical musician around India who made it so magnificent.