Lyrics of song

Discussion in 'On-Topic' started by amitkokiladitya, May 8, 2017.

1. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Member

How important are the lyrics of a song. For me they are the backbone of any song. Good and meaningful lyrics always enhance the feel of music alone.

I don't say that good musical beats cannot survive alone but when complimented with good lyrics they reach the hearts of many.

2. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Member

Yeah,if the song has lame lyrics, its stops- kind of dead in the road for me and so I like to listen to some meaningful kinds of lyrics in the music. I think dumb lyrics can even ruin a song as well, and also it does not hurt to be a poet of somewhat when you write the lyrics for a song? Most music artists start with lyrics and then chord progression,and then work on the melodies.

amitkokiladitya likes this.
  3. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Member

I agree to your point that a song is dead if it has no lyrics that are meaningful. Lovely and inspiring words are loved by all and usually the main reason why people love to hear that song.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

The lyrics of a song is like the heart to us, humans. It's "just" the essence of everything.

For me, a song can't be considered a real song (despite what the media sells today) without having a decent lyrics, something that really adds to people's lives.

Maybe I'm a little bit picky about it, but I really can't listen to (and I don't like it) nonsense music.

5. TheArticulate

TheArticulate New Member

I am very glad that I don't experience music as selectively as you do. A song can most certainly be considered a song without "decent" lyrics (as that's a subjective topic on its own). In fact, a song can be considered a song without ANY lyrics whatsoever. Crazy, right? I adore Buckethead's works, which is mostly instrumental. I've never heard a guitarist portray emotion and movement in their music like Buckethead does, and it just absolutely floored me when I listened to him for the first time.

Post-rock instrumental groups like God is an Astronaut and Explosions in the Sky are great examples to driving emotion through music without lyrics. It's impressive if you can do that without having to put words to your music.

6. Chiara

Chiara New Member

Lyrics are the heart and soul of a song. Songwriters and musicians communicate, express ideas and create a bond with listeners through it.
    However, there's plenty of songs with lame lyrics but powerful music that became international hits. Sometimes, even the artists who created/performed these songs do not understand the reason for that success and they wonder why did that happen if the song was average/bad.

7. sachin

sachin Member

Lyrics are the oxygen to the song without that it not nice to listen.
    So much of lyrics create an impact on everyone's life so it must needed.

amitkokiladitya likes this.
  8. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Member

I completely agree with you. Well written lyrics always appeal to the masses and help to make a song evergreen.

9. Nivraceel

Nivraceel New Member

Lyrics is the spirit of the music. Nowadays, it is all about beats and how the video is done.

10. marglai

marglai New Member

For me, the lyrics of the song or music is very important. Lyrics should be simple enough to be able to understand easily by the listener but it should be meaningful enough. Nonsense lyrics make a nonsense music. But if you have a meaningful music people does listen to it and share it with others for them to listen to your music as well.

11. luri

luri Member

When I am listening to music, the lyrics also matters to me. My best songs are the songs that have a great lyrics. Another Brick in the wall is my all time favorite music. It has a great lyrics. It tells about the plights of young people who are mistreated by the educational system. One of the reasons why I don't like Hip-Hop music is the songs have crappy lyrics.

12. chelley17

chelley17 New Member

Lyrics aren’t everything. They aren’t even the majority of what’s important in music. Lyrics are just part of music.

13. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

A musician may say that music is the melody and music is there even when there are no lyrics. I agree to that because there are pieces with no lyrics that I like. One is Rhapsody in Blue. But for a song, it has to have lyrics otherwise it is just a melody. And to me, the lyrics matters most.

14. wiseagent

wiseagent New Member

The importance of a lyric for a song is the same as the soul means for a body: everything. I mean... Without it, there is no sense for the existence of it. This is pretty clear to me. :)

It's a shame (and really sad) that over time the importance of lyrics seems to have lost the true meaning.

15. Belts

Belts New Member

I agree, let me compare a song to a human body.A song is not complete without lyrics like a human body without a soul. for me, even though I'm listening to a good musical beat but if there is no vocal for a lyrics a song or a music is not complete. lyrics is the soul of a song gives to the music so, music without lyrics isn't complete and would never be complete.

16. shanejhane

shanejhane New Member

For me lyrics is important to the song. The song isn't complete if there is no lyrics, by lyrics you can express the true meaning of a song. Lyrics also the way to communicate to the singers, if the song have a good lyrics, the singer can sing it very well.

17. Kammy143

Kammy143 New Member

Lyrics is a very important part of a song. I know that there are a lot of songs that has a catchy tone or beat that carries out the song but having good written lyrics to accompany it is the best form of expression. Music ignites the emotion while the lyrics is the story expressed in words. A good written set of words and a good arrangement of music can work wonders in making other people relate to what the singer, musician and composer of the song.

18. superman2727

superman2727 Member

Agreed! Lyrics are the spine of the songs itself. Since it displays the meaning of the song and it helps us to understand more the meaning of the song itself. It combines all parts of the songs and for me, I will not call it a song if there is no lyrics at all.

19. xXInfectedXx

xXInfectedXx New Member

It seems most people in this topic care about the lyrics instead of only caring about the music, which is good to hear. Same here, however lyrics aren't everything for me but definitely they can help with strengthening the enjoyment of the song so you can find the deeper meaning of why the writer wrote it in the first place. Sometimes lyrics bring a strong message to the song and therefore this usually really connects the public with the song artist. I do also the like the beat and tune, in some cases I found myself listening to electronic or dubstep.