Second-hand equipment.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Shine_Spirit, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

Do you buy or ever bought them?

I already bought some a few years ago, and depending on the quality of conservation I can still come back to buy thm. But my preference is always for the purchase of new equipments because I know I will have a full quality assurance.

2. to7update

to7update New Member

I have never bought second hand musical equipment, but in theory it can be a good deal, considering we are buying it from a trusted source. If we don't know the seller, we better be knowledgeable about what we are buying, or we might get ourselves in trouble investing in something that has problems. Usually, the simpler the instrument, the easier to spot.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member

For many people that are starting to learn how to play, buying second hand instruments can be a cost effective way of learning as a lot of instruments can be expensive. If you don't know if you are going to carry on playing then buying second hand can certainly be the way to go while you are deciding. Most musical instruments tend to hold their value pretty well also, and so while you will be able to buy a second hand instrument for much cheaper than a new one, if and when you come to sell it on, you won't lose out too much either.

4. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Member

If in good condition I don't mind buying second hand instruments. First hand modern instruments are no doubt expensive and not affordable at many times. All I believe is that talent is in my hands and not in the age of instruments.

5. Arbitrary

Arbitrary Member

I wouldn't advise against it but I've never bought second-hand equipment. I think it largely depends on what instrument we are talking about though. Some instruments are easier to spot ''fault'' in, some are harder. I wouldn't mind buying a smaller, less expensive second-hand equipment - something like a beginners acoustic guitar etc.

There are always risks though. You have to be able to trust the seller to a certain extent but buying second-hand is definitely a cheaper option. Just make sure that you do your research so you won't end up being scammed or disappointed.

6. hawkseeeveryone

hawkseeeveryone New Member

It really depends. On a personal level I've never bought second hand equipment, however I know people who do because of budgetary constraints. A lot of it relies on you actually taking the time and testing the equipment out, knowing what the red flags are to look for, and also the character of who you are buying it from.

7. Paras Tiwari

Paras Tiwari New Member

I currently live in Louisville, KY and we have an amazing second-hand music store here called Music-Go-Round. They sell everything from drums to keyboards and if you are looking to sell your equipment, they will usually offer you a fair price and whatever it is your selling. I believe they have a couple locations throughout Louisville and Southern Indianan.

8. zebali

zebali New Member

If you are new to music instruments then you should buy the second-hand equipment so you would not have difficulty to learn it. I bought a drum for the first time in an auction. It is working as it suppose to do. There are many benefits of new instruments as you can use it with your own settings. There is a big market in Newyork for second-hand instruments. Right now I am planning to buy a guitar. I never played it before.

amitkokiladitya likes this.
  9. sachin

sachin Member

Always buy a new one is best.Second hand equipment is not good that much,because its already rejected by someone so it has some problem then only it got rejected.So I prefer only new instrument.

10. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Member

Even I think alike. I always prefer to start with minimal investment. Then, as I master the equipment I opt for buying an upgraded version. Again this can be new or old, depending on the deal and my finances. Many second hand instruments are just near perfect and there is no harm in buying them.

11. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin New Member

I bought a 2nd hand fender guitar and a bass guitar. That time, I can only buy cheap stuff so buying second hand equipment is the only way I could afford original instruments. It is still my most precious possession.

12. jeffrey0821

jeffrey0821 New Member

freelancer
    I don't see any problem buying second hand equipment at all as long as it is in good shape. For me it's not about the equipment, it depends on the end user. I bought a second hand guitar online before and it works perfectly fine and of course i got it much cheaper compare to a brand new one, After that i customize it according to my own specs etc.