What's Your Opinion Of Metal Fans?

Discussion in 'Metal' started by pwarbi, Apr 25, 2017.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member

Metal fans in my opinion get a bit of a rough deal, and I think that people are guilty of judging them just by how they look. Maybe not so much these days, but in the past a typical 'metalhead' would have the long hair, tattoos and dress in black. The band names such as Pantera and Megadeath didn't do them any favours either, and some of the album covers that also got made into T-shirts would give the impression that you wouldn't want to go anywhere near them.

In reality, despite how they look, a lot of metal bands actually make songs that are pretty deep and meaningful if you take time to listen to them, and the fans that follow the music are actually pretty knowledgeable and not the wannabe Hell's Angels that we all think. I'm far from being a metal fan, but I have got to know some and looks can certainly be deceiving.

2. Francis88

Francis88 New Member

I think that I have met a wide variety, and if you had asked me a little bit ago I might have said something different. Just like anything though you cannot really just lump people together based on one thing, so it is important to keep that in mind.

pwarbi likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member

In an ideal world @Francis88 you are right, and people shouldn't base their opinion of others on just how they look, but they do and sometimes without even thinking about it. If you saw a man in pair of jeans, checked shirt, stetson and cowboy boots then you automatically assume he would listen to country music. It's just something that I think we do automatically and it's the same with metal fans.

Here in the UK, a heavy metal band from Germany came and played in the city where I live, and even before they had played one concert the consensus of opinion was that the city would be flooded with trouble causing bikers. Even the police drafted in more officers and some of the taxi firms refused to work on the particular nights of the shows. In reality what happened is that all the shows passed off peacefully with only a small number of arrests but far less than what you would have got for other artists, the police commended the behaviour of the fans and after all the speculation, the shows where a great success.

4. hawkseeeveryone

hawkseeeveryone New Member

I feel like metal fans are some of the most dedicated, respectful, and kind music lovers out there. I've been to many metal shows, and they always make somebody feel welcome and accepted. Plus, there's the unspoken rule that if somebody falls down, you pick them up. If they get hurt, you get them help. I've never felt safer than at a metal show, and the fans are great. However I've had lots of problems with people not caring and not bothering when somebody is trampled say at a pop show.

5. TheArticulate

TheArticulate New Member

Being an avid of metal myself, and seeing plenty of metal shows, I can attest to exactly what you're saying. I feel as though it's not even so much an unspoken rule anymore, either. I've heard plenty of front-men for groups remind the crowd that if someone falls during a circle pit or wall of death, to help them back to their feet.

Really, I've never had a problem at a metal show either. I think it's the image that's associated with metal fans that gets them the bad rap.

6. Icyco

Icyco Member

I think that many metal fans at the age of 18 and older are pretty decent people. There are metal fans much younger who I'm sure are good people, but most of them tend to take a certain song too seriously. Around the age of 18, many are level headed. I wouldn't call myself a hard core metal fan but I do enjoy many songs from certain bands.

7. arachnophobik

arachnophobik New Member

This is sadly very true. A lot of people judge us by the type of music we listen to now, and even call it "edgy" just because it's about angst or dark themed stuff. I think that is a load of crap, people can express anything they want in music and the art is always in how they construct it, not what it's about. Just because a song is singing about hate or self alienation doesn't mean it's edgy, it helps a lot of abused people who can't speak for themselves.

8. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeod New Member

Well as you said, in the past, noticing a metal fan was easy. Long hairs, black shirts, boots, tattoos, and stuff like that. Today it's a bit different. I am a metal fan myself and I don't dress anything like that. Not even close. In fact, I dress pretty casually and no one would ever notice that I listen to metal music. But I don't think that your dressing style should determine what you listen to or that you should expose like that your musical taste. So it really doesn't mean a thing. And of course, a lot of metal bands are making some deep meaningful music which I like. But on the other hand, people don't like that kind of music because there is a lot of noise and everything.

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

This judgment by looks reminds me of my teenage days when most of my friends were sporting long hair - they were pretending to be rockers but were not really. My parents would reprimand me for going out with those long-haired guys who were decent and straight when it comes to studies. But a guy sporting long hair was judged to be a marijuana smoker, that's the stigma.

10. boniboi

boniboi New Member

I'm a metal fan with lots of "metalhead" buddies and all of them are well educated and respectful people. I also know some people who are not metalheads but are into the "rave" scene who are junkies and rude. It just goes to show that metalheads are unfairly stereotyped because of the way we look. I say get to know the person first before judging them. The music you listen to doesn't define who you are, your personality does.

11. xobe

xobe New Member

First of, when we say metal genre, it's dealing with anger, hate, sadness, political views, and diabolic perceptions. Metal is something that influences youth to mimic the attitude of artists so that they can be classified as one of them. Noise and distorted melodies are the trademarks of this kind of music. Metal fans don't visit any churches at all because they had opposite beliefs in religion. My brother is a metal fan and he had this band named " TIAMAT", I listened to their songs and it just like chanting. The sound they produce is just like a group of choir in a church and the tone is inviting you their rituals. I can say that metal is a form of demonic revolution that distract minds of people. It controls human's brain for some reason that leads to chaotic behavior. I cannot blame musicians nor metal fans because that is their choice but be reminded that metal music can lead individuals to a sudden death.

12. jeffrey0821

jeffrey0821 New Member

freelancer
    I think some people see fans of metal genre as crazy or anti-religion ragged human being some because of the way they dressed and some for being too crazy not to care about what others think. I am a big fan of metal music and i am a big fan of bands like metallica, slayer, megadeath, anthrax and even today i purchase their song on itunes and in my opinion metal fans are awesome. they express their selves without regret and enjoying the music and don't care what other thinks just like what i am doing every time i listen to some metal songs.

13. Cherish1

Cherish1 New Member

Music as I said in other forums reflects every person's mood and thoughts. Thus, metallic ones as a hard and very loud music indicates a feeling of rebellion, wild thoughts, extreme feeling of something that cannot be expressed directly, or it could be emptiness. Why do I say emptiness? Because as I understand a metallic music has never had a substance. It only delivers hatred and aggressiveness. But I do not judge those metal fans! In fact I thought of them as persons who feels empty. Finding love and care that they can't be found so they just spend the time with their music. And continue the life being deserted and feeling unique and true "as they think it is".

14. pamz

pamz New Member

self employed
    yup I guess one of the most common things people thought about metal fans are like indecent people, long hair makes them unemployed person who didn't finished college or something like that.. but in reality most of them are well rounded and well educated people.. yes, some may look unprofessional or untidy.. well it's kinda weird if you go to a metal concert with coat and tie.. while feeling the awesome vibe of the band.. metal song aren't just rage and anger, yes some songs maybe be about rage and anger, but I think all genre of song has also rage and anger.. people just define it with the loudness and noise made by metal band..