Why do some people relate Reggae to drugs?

Discussion in 'Reggae' started by Shine_Spirit, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

Have you ever heard people make that kind of "connection"? I've heard this several times in my life but I've never heard any explanation that would support this nonsense idea. :confused:

I think that's the kind of thinking of people with small and atrophied minds. ;)

2. Trig_Ke

Trig_Ke Member

There is this notion that some people have regarding reggae music and its listeners. They believe that if one listens or supports reggae music they are drug takers. This is fallacious because it is based on a small group of people maybe in a certain geographical area who do drugs and at the same time take drugs. Mostly, it is Jamaica. Another thing is that the 'father' of reggae music, Bob Marley abused drugs like marijuana. However, these critics fail to realise that taking drugs is a personal decision. Associating it with reggae music is baseless. I personally am an avid listener of tunes from many reggae artists and do not take any drug. Similarly, we have many artists who do reggae music and do not do drugs.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

I think this was the way it was found (in this situation I don't know who to blame... because I can see a lot of people interested in this) to have a form of segregation / isolation, considering that the group of fans of this musical genre is not so big (when compared to other musical genres). It's totally wrong in every possible way! :confused:

4. explorerx7

explorerx7 New Member

Some Reggae music performers are in some way related to the Rastafarian religion and rastas mostly view Marijuana as a form of the sacrament, but not all of them will smoke the weed, some will utilize it in other forms. However, not all of the performers are Rastas and not all may smoke Marijuana or indulge in illegal drugs. A true Rastaman will not indulge in drugs like cocaine, meth, heroin and other types in that category because he will tell you that those are devil inspired substances. The truth is that marijuana has been demonized because it's no worse than alcohol. There is no evidence of anyone smoking the weed and going berserk as if he was drunk or under the influence of those other drugs that I had previously mentioned. The negative side of Marijuana is that if you have certain psychological problems you should stay away from it. We now see the various positive products that may be obtained from Marijuana. I am from Jamaica and I am a real Reggae music fan and I have never smoked a cigarette, have never smoked the weed or taken any illegal drugs and there are thousand of people on the Island who are able to say the same. On the other hand, there are numerous persons who do drugs also. This has nothing to do with Reggae music it's just personal choice for the person that is involved just like what may prevail in other places around the world.

5. sachin

sachin Member

Some people prejudiced reggae musician very bad ,so it also comes from that way.

6. genesis

genesis New Member

Well making things simple, what comes up in your mind when you hear reggae? or rather whose artist? you see reggae music was popularized by Bob Marley. We all know who Bob Marley is, if some of you don't, try looking in google. In his songs he shows he's always smoking marijuana, more or less like, and I think the country where he came from, use of drugs or marijuana is legal. And every time he'll be showing in a concert to sing his songs, he'll be smoking first to lift his spirit up and be calm. That's the reason I think why others relate marijuana to reggae or vice versa. :)

7. luri

luri Member

Not just reggae, but rock, metal, R n B etc are also connected with drugs. That's because the musicians were addicts themselves. It is common for rock and metal artists to do drugs during the performance. Music as a whole is connected with drugs because many artists have died from drug overdose including my favorite Jim Morrison.

8. jyu

jyu New Member

Because Bob Marley used weed or marijuana before he perform on stage, in other country those weeds or marijuana is not legal like in the Philippines that's why people think that reggae is for addict people.

9. marglai

marglai New Member

Yeah, I heard that too, some people associate reggae music to drug addiction. But I personally disagree with that statement. Reggae music is a very nice music and it is not fair to say that reggae singers and listener is a drug addict. Drug addiction is a personal choice not because of music.

10. Heatman

Heatman New Member

Personally, I would say that the reason for this is as a result of the appearance of these musician, they appear too rough and rugged, some are mostly seen smoking one cigarette or Indian hemp. So I believe that these are the reason why they are normally linked to drinks and drugs.

11. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

Although I don't agree 100% with your point of view, it has a very good foundation. The artists are inspirational to people (especially for fans), so it is likely that people will replicate their atitudes.

12. ann.mae18

ann.mae18 New Member

For me i don't see the relation of reggae to drugs. I think the people that are listening to the music is the one who want to think that it might. But i don't mean most people do because its a cool music. Maybe people think of it because when you listen to the music ,its kinda a slow beat and i sometimes see people dance to it like a drunken horde of people. The music actually help you feel unwind and just relaxed. So the people that want to make it relate to drugs maybe i'ts not there kind of music. I know the musicians have their own kinds of style in clothing and lifestyle but still its music.

13. Kiama

Kiama New Member

I guess people relate reggae with drugs because of the appearance of the artists. The dreadlocks appearance makes most people think that the artists do drugs. The videos in reggae songs also are gangster like. The videos show young people in hoods whose walls are painted in art. Also most reggae artists come from Jamaica and its one of the countries where marijuana is legalized and hence people just assume that for that reason, the artists use the drug.

Though most people may view these artists this way, I do not think all of them use drugs. Some of them are good people even with the dreadlocks.

14. walter12

walter12 New Member

I would assume they do so since the style and the culture of reggae's singers is related quite a lot to drugs since most of them used it.

15. Rossy

Rossy New Member

Come to think about it, when I was younger I never respected anyone who listened to reggae(now I know better). Well, it could be the fact that most of them have weird looking dreadlocks. If you are observant, the reggae symbolic colors will mostly be accompanied by a twig of marijuana; why wouldn't anyone relate reggae with drugs?

16. tallulah

tallulah New Member

You are right. There is this notion that if you like reggae music or if you embrace the rasta way, then you must have a stash of marijuana somewhere in your house. It is true in some way though. As a Rastafarian, it is acceptable to smoke marijuana. But listening to reggae music doesn't necessarily mean you fall into that category. Rastafarian is a way of life and religion. Reggae is a music genre connected to the Rastafarian way. Jah man!:D

17. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

There is one popular reggae artist here who looks like a Jamaican but I haven't heard an issue about addiction. What was common during my teenage years was old folks saying kids with long hair are addicts or looking like addicts because most rock artists are addicts. I had several friends who were sporting long hair. They were complaining about the stigma. For me, I had my hair cut short.

18. Keibah

Keibah New Member

I think that it is because especially in the past, a lot of rock and reggae artists can be identified with addiction and they also look a certain type of way. So that kind of stuck with them.

So these days, if you look like, people just also That you also act and live like that. It was more of a way of life than a style or trend.

19. EfficientNinja

EfficientNinja Member

I am one of those people who kind of think drugs when I hear reggae music lmao. I don't know why. It must be because of those old friends of mine who smoked weed and liked playing reggae songs. Some reggae music videos on YouTube also feature weed as thumbnails. So maybe those things made me relate this genre of music to drugs.

20. albino

albino New Member

Its because of the negative feedback especially on well known reggae song artist who used to take drugs as energy boosters on stage, and people having lack of understanding in the art of reggae they generalize the issue linking reggae artist to drugs.